This recipe is taken from the book “Art de la Cuina“, an interesting cookbook written during the first half of the eighteenth century by Fray Francesc Roger, a Franciscan friar who, in his youth, trained as a chef at the convent of Saint Francis of Assisi in Ciutadella (Minorca).
- 800 gr minced lamb meat.
- 400 gr chicken breast cut in small pieces.
- A little dry white wine.
- 200 gr sugar.
- 3 eggs.
- 1,6 kg flour.
- 35 gr yeast.
- 70 gr warm water (for the yeast).
- 200 gr lard.
- 200 gr sugar.
- 6 eggs.
- 3 o 4 tablespoons of rose water.
- 200 gr water.
- 2 egg yolks (para pintar la coca antes de hornearla).
1) First you prepare the stuffing. In a clay pot, fry lightly the lamb meat and the chicken with some olive oil. Add some salt, wine and the spices (saffron, nutmeg, clove and cinnamon). When the meat is cooked, add the sugar and the eggs, beaten.
2) Then you prepare the dough. First, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add the flour, lard, eggs, sugar, water and rose water. Knead until the ingredients are well combined. Then, take half of the dough and roll it to form the base of the pie. Spread the stuffing on this base. Roll the other half of the dough to cover.
3) You can decorate the top with small pieces of dough. Brush the egg yolk onto the pie and bake it for about 40 minutes at 170º.
For any questions, contact us via WhatsApp: (+34)617435189
|Difficulty: Media||Processing time: 1 hour|
|Region: Minorca (Balearic Islands)||Category: Meat (stuffed pie)|
|Bibliography: L’Art de la cuina||Source: Miquel Mariano Vadell|